Catherine Holland MA, LCMHCS
CatherineMHollandResume.pdf (File Size: 233.2 KiB)
I have been a practicing psychotherapist for over 18 years. The majority of my work and training has been in treating victims and survivors of trauma, and I specialize in the treatment of trauma in adults and teens. I have a MA in Mental Health Counseling, and am licensed in the state of North Carolina (#5316). You can read more about my education, experience, specialized certifications and trainings by clicking on my Professional Disclosure Statement link under my name at the top of this page.
I want you to know my philosophy of treating any client who comes to see me for therapy. I use an integrative theoretical approach weaving together the best of my education and experience to provide individualized treatment. In my years of practice, I have learned that I first need to understand the uniqueness of a person and their personal story before formulating with the client/family how the treatment will flow. Although I can diagnose, according to the latest DSM-V, and I will do so if required by insurance providers, I do not believe a person struggling with psychological and emotional distress can, or need be, labeled into a diagnostic category. I have found that with complex trauma, developmental trauma, attachment trauma, health and medical trauma, the safest, most effective plan, regardless of which approach(s) used, is to pace therapy in a way that allows clients to cope, stay grounded and therefore function in their lives outside of the therapy session.
In my personal life my interests include creating art, hiking, reading, playing with my dogs, and spending as much time as possible with my love, my husband Ray.
Professionals making a referral will want to know the following:
- I am a certified in EMDR I am a member of EMDRIA. And I am an approved EMDRIA consultant. Over the past 8 years I have used EMDR in about 1,000 of my counseling sessions. During this time, I have been providing therapy (about 4,000 counseling hours) only to adult and child victims of sexual violence.
- I have participated in numerous advanced trainings in Internal Family Systems (IFS), and I use EMDR-Informed Internal Family Systems.
- I have participated in numerous advanced trainings in EMDR for teens and adults experiencing complex trauma, attachment trauma, relational trauma, and grief/loss.
- I am a Certified Level II Clinical Trauma Professional through IATP.
- I am trained in Trauma-Focused Therapy (TFT) and I am trained to work with First Responders.
- I am trained in the Integrative Team Treatment for Attachment Trauma model.
- I completed the Art and Healing 209 hour program from Ringling College of Art and Design in Sarasota, Florida and facilitated more than 20 Expressive Art Therapy groups for adult survivors of childhood sexual abuse
- I am licensed in the state of North Carolina to provide clinical supervision for LCMHCA
I am also available for consultations with other therapists.